This lovely building is a National Trust property adjacent to St Andrew's Church, Alfriston. It was the first building to be saved by the National Trust and has a delightful cottage garden which includes a one hundred year old Judas tree.
The Clergy House is a surviving example of a typical thatched Wealden Hall House dating back to the 14th century. It was probably built for a yeoman farmer and later passed into the possession of the church. By the 1890s it was virtually derelict and would have been lost forever but for the efforts of Reverend Beynon, the vicar of Alfriston, who set up an appeal to save this ancient building. In 1896 the newly formed National Trust purchased the building for a token £10.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Photographs © Mark Collins 2006
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first. Permission is usually given for non-commercial use.