Wesleyan Chapel (now New Covenant Church), High Brooms, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - 23rd January 2005

Situated in High Brooms Road, this church was built in 1898 by local builder, James Jarvis, in 1898.  It was designed by Tunbridge Wells architect Herbert Murkin Caley.

The church later became the Bethel Evangelical Free Church and is now known as the New Covenant Church.   In addition the building is now also used by the Little Appleseed Pre-School.

The stone behind the green bin reads "Laid by Mrs Beecroft, July 6th 1898. J Jarvis, Builder."

Mrs Alice Mary Beecroft (1858, Dunstable, Berks - 1846, Tunbridge Wells) was the wife of Edward Robert Beecroft (1852, Luton, Beds - 1946, Tunbridge Wells).   In 1901 this couple lived at 158 Upper Grosvenor Road, Tunbridge Wells and in 1911 at 8 Somerville Gardens in Boyne Park where they remained until their deaths.   At the time of his death Edward was a Justice of the Peace.

New Covenant Church, High Brooms, Tunbridge Wells, 23rd January 2005 - MTC

My grateful thanks to Edward Gilbert who provided most of the information on this page.

Digital photograph

Visitors to this album since June 2003

This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages

Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.