Former Church of St Wilfred, Brighton, East Sussex - 25th October 2004

This church was built to replace a Tin Church which was erected on the same spot, formerly an allotment, in 1901, opening for Worship on the 25th August.

The building was designed by H.S. Goodhart-Rendel, who write a pioneering series of articles on Brighton churches  in the Architectural Review in 1918.

The Foundation Stone of the church was laid on December 3rd 1932. Almost a year later on Saturday 25th November, 1933 the new Church was consecrated.

The church closed in 1980 and was converted into sheltered housing for the elderly; the parish was merged with St Martin.

Former St Wilfred's Church, Brighton, East Sussex - 25th October 2004 - MTC

During the war the Crypt was converted into a public air-raid shelter and an altar was installed. In 1940 Mr Hans Feibusch executed a mural decoration of the north Chapel. The work was a gift to St Wilfrid's made possible by the Bishop of the Diocese and attracted a very considerable amount of attention.   This Mural is still in existence and may be viewed on appointment.

For more information about this building, including photographs of the Tin Church it replaced, click here.

Many thanks to Malcolm J Stacey who provided additional notes for this page.

Digital photograph

Visitors to this album since June 2003

This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages


Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.