The pier, Hastings, East Sussex - 12th September 2004

Construction on Hastings Pier started on 18th December 1869. It was opened by the Earl of Granville, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports amid great ceremony on Monday, 5th August 1872, the country's first ever Bank Holiday. Designed by the famous engineer Eugenius Birch, at a cost of 23,250, the original pier was modelled on Brighton West Pier.

This picture was taken from the St Leonards Promenade on a very blustery day.

The Pier, Hastings, East Sussex, 12th September 2004 - MTC

An oriental style pavilion, capable of seating 2000 people, was constructed at the seaward end. The pier was 910ft (275m) long and varied in width from 45ft (13.6m) to 190ft (57.5m). On the approach to the pavilion, a flight of steps either side of the building led down to the landing stages, each 200ft (60.6m) long by 8ft (2.4m) wide. In 1885 a further landing stage was built at a cost of 2,000.

Digital photograph


This is a page from the Roughwood Photograph Album

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Photographs Mark Collins 2006

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.  Permission is usually given for non-commercial use.