St Luke, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - 23rd January 2005

This Church was built in 1910 to designs by Egbert Cronk and is situated in Silverdale Road.  The building is constructed of ragstone and Bath stone and was designed to seat 500 people.  The building cost 7,500.  Of this 1,500 was donated by Miss Adelaide Mitchell, and later she also bought land for the church on Wilkin Road and paid for the tower and bell as a memorial to her parents.  The foundation stone was laid on 26th February 1910 by Miss Mitchell and just eight months later the building was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on 31st October.

St Luke, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - 23rd January 2005 - MTC

In 1924 the  parish donated three stained glass windows in memory of Miss Mitchell.

The tower is unusually situated at the east end of the north side.

St Luke, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - 23rd January 2005 - MTC

Here is a view of the building, taken on 28th July 2005, from Wooland Road in High Brooms, which gives a better appreciation of the building.

St Luke, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - 23rd January 2005 - MTC

Digital Photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.