Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004

The day we visited was dull and very wet, however with the use of an umbrella some reasonable pictures were obtained.

The parish is joined with Westmeston and has no dedication.

Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

The building of Streat Church was begun, in its original form, soon after the compilation of the Doomsday Book to replace two Saxon Churches, one very probably on this site.

The original building comprised the current nave, and two pieces remain, the north wall and the core of the west wall. There are two Norman arches, the present entrance in the north wall, and opposite into the south aisle.

Here is a view from the nave into the chancel from behind the font.  The chancel was added in the 13th century, although was originally shorter than the present one.  It possibly replaced an earlier apse; the south wall survives of the 13th century work.  The chancel was lengthened between 1840 and 1850 by Rev. W.A.FitzHugh, who also installed the east and south windows.

Nave and chancel, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

Here is the east window.

East Window, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

Here are some of the other windows in the church, complete with Christmas decorations! The first depicts St George and St Alban.

Window, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTCWindow, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

Window, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTCWindow, Streat, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

In 1854 a thorough restoration took place which involved removal of the western gallery and its external brick stairs, addition of the south aisle, north porch and partial rebuilding of the Dobell Dormitory, the upper part of which was previously boarded.  In addition the rickety high pews were replaced with the current ones.

These cherubic angels adorn some memorials on the north wall of the nave.

Angels, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

Angels, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

The organ is situated to the north of the chancel (in the building previously the Dormitory of the Dobell and Lane families). The font is situated at the west end of the nave.  An unusual feature is a pew against the west wall, behind the font.

Organ, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTCThe font, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

The final picture is of a large memorial in the floor.

Floor memorial, East Sussex - 9th January 2004 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.