Stanmer Church, near Brighton, East Sussex - 25th October 2004

This building has no dedication. The first record of a church on the site appears in 1232 when Stanmer still belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury. At this time the Church was attached to the Penitentiary of the Monastic College of South Malling, for which the Stanmer Estate provided an income of 20 hides a year.

Stanmer Church, near Brighton, Sussex - 25th October 2004 - MTC

The church was locked when we visited with no local key holder indicated.

The original 14th century church was demolished in 1838, when the present "new" church was constructed. It was built in the Early English style of flint with stone dressings at a cost of 14,000 by the the 3rd Earl of Chichester, Henry Thomas Pelham.  The west tower has a recessed spire.

For the time it was still a small church, and according to the then practice a west gallery was constructed. Upon the gallery are the Royal Coat of Arms of King George III. The organ uses much of the central space, but there are two rows of benches immediately in front of it.

The east window of stained and painted glass depicts the Ascension, and was installed in 1887 in memory of the 3rd Earl. The memorial to Sir John Pelham dated 1580 came to Stanmer in 1888 from Holy Trinity Church, Minories, in the City of London. The tower contains two bells dated 1791.

Stanmer Parish is part of the united benefice of Stanmer with Falmer, a union which was first created in 1835, just before the building of the new church. This united Parish, which covers much of the former estate of the Earls of Chichester, includes the villages and farms of Stanmer and Falmer and the Campus sites of the Universities of Sussex and Brighton. The Parish Priest is therefore also Chaplain to the University of Sussex and Associate Anglican Chaplain to Brighton University.

Digital photograph


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.