The oldest part of the structure is about 1150. It is built of flint with stone facings and has weather boarded tower surmounted by a broach spire covered with cedar shingles.
Two views of the nave, looking east and then west. The nave floor has a slope of about thirteen inches from east to west. The old oak beams supporting the roof are rough hewn and believed to be original. The string course around the walls about nine feet above the floor is Norman and may indicate the position of the original Norman roof.
There is a double sedilia dating from the 15th century and a piscina dating from around 1200-20. Both are so high from the ground that the floor of the sanctuary must have been lowered since they were installed.
On the north side of the chancel is a nameless tomb which at one time supported the Easter Sepulchre - where the sacred elements were deposited from Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday. It dates from 1520-30. The font is early 16th century, with the original lead lining still present under the present one.
Opposite the south door is this recess, possibly an aumbry where the reserved sacrament would have been kept.
The east window was originally three lancets, though the present stonework dates from 1863. The glass carries the inscription "Sacred to the memory of Stephen Phillips who restored this church AD 1865".
The two windows in the north wall of the chancel are Norman, and the glass depicting the four evangelists was thought by some to be 14th century, although the inner arches have been changed. Work during a survey for NADFAS (National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies) in 2008 has confirmed the glass is Victorian and was probably put in during the 1863 restoration*. The small trefoil ogee-headed window high up on the south wall of the chancel has stained glass dating from c.1830 "To the memory of Albert Caroline and Arthur infant children of W B Robinson M A a Rector who died in the respective years 1827-9-32".
The final view is of the tower from the church yard. It contains three bells, the treble being very ancient with a black letter inscription "Johannes est nomen eius". It was cast about 1450 by William Chamberlain, Master Founder at Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
* My thanks to Jennifer Cross for her email to clarify this in December 2008.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.